Friday, February 11, 2011

"no red, she said!"

hi folks, it's lauren here, about to make a bold statement: i think this week's prompt might be our coolest yet; it's definitely got the best title, don't you agree?! i'm not being conceited, i didn't think of it, nor did my darling stef; nope, this week's title and concept came from* the very clever and very talented lisa of papergrace designs!

lisa is an avid papercrafter and cardmaker, and if you've been hanging out here for a bit, you'll know that she's been one of our most faithful friends from the very beginning; each week she extends her support and enthusiasm not just to this blog but also to her fellow BELLES! if you're looking for papercrafting inspiration, lisa's splitcoast gallery is well worth checking out (at the very least you need to go and see this C&S sponged & stamped christmas card) and why not drop in to the papergrace designs facebook page ...you never know what good stuff might be going on there!

we thought this week there might be a bit of an overdose of red out in the blogiverse--what with everyone else making valentines-- so this seemed like a great time for all of us intrepid JINGLE BELLES to make our cards in any style, theme, or color...but completely WITHOUT that most common of christmas colors! because this week is:

CARD SEVEN (JB07):
no red, she said!


here's what we did:


lisa's card

lisa says: "'No red, she said' popped into my head because, really, when making Christmas cards it is soooo crazy easy to reach for a Christmas paper with all kinds of pretty reds and greens in it. I like to go against the grain, baby! I wanted to see how completely UN-conventional with color I could get and yet have it still look Christmas-y. I used chip letters and painted them BLACK (yes, black!) and then covered them with glossy accents. Even seeing those big bold black letters, you can't tell me this Tim Holtz-inspired (formerly manila) tag doesn't screeeeaaam Christmas! :)


stephanie's card

stef says, "One of my favorite holiday color combinations is found in Cosmo Cricket's Mitten Weather Collection ~ aqua & plum ~ I added some stamped snowflakes to the polka dot background paper and some tiny purple pearls to accent the design."


lauren's card


lauren says, "i wanted to see how far i could go from traditional colors...but... still use mostly store-bought christmas supplies. i was shocked, when looking through my stash, to realize HOW MANY COLORWAYS are out there now, besides the traditional red-n-green. in the end, only my white glitter thickers came from my "regular" supplies...everything else is holiday!"



and now it's time to see what you will do: make it plain or fancy; choose a muted palette or neon brights; keep it otherwise traditional...or go waaaaaaaaaaaay out into uncharted territory. everything's fair game as long as there's no red (she said)! link up your card between now and 6pm EST, next wednesday, february 16th. if you're posting to SCS or flickr the code is JB07. have fun!!!





*would YOU like to be our lovely guest star? we'd love to have you! email us (jinglebellesrock @ hotmail (dot) com) with your theme ideas; if we use your suggestion, we'll invite you along for the week! ♥

23 comments:

Alli said...

I've made several Valentine's cards this week so I can do WITHOUT red for a while!
GREAT challenge idea!
LOVE the inspiration cards!!!
They are all sooooo nice!
Woohoooooooooo, I am good to GO!
Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!!!

Lisa - papergrace said...

♥♥♥ OMG!!! *blush* ♥♥♥ I am a bit speechless. Thank you way more than I can ever, ever, EVER say for the beautiful words. But, moreso for the friendships I am building here through this wonderful blog.

I am honored & privileged to have been ALLOWED to do this. So thank YOU! xoxo

Ashley Newell said...

AWWWWWW! This is such a FABULOUS team and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Lisa! Woohoo! Everyone's cards are just beyond lovely!

Marianne said...

My card is posted and I must say this was tough but I did it ! Even though green is traditional....it all I got. and I think there may be a dot of red on the reindeer...sorry...Next week I'll be home and I won't be so limited.
Great challenge Lisa !
Thanks
Marianne

Scrapcat 1 said...

ooohhh that's different no red, will need to see what I can do for this one

Leslie Hanna said...

WOW WOW WOW! I love non-traditional colors for Christmas cards and Lisa: YOU GO, GIRL! I looooooove your card.

~amy~ said...

yahoooooo for the new challenge...great job ladies and a big woot woot for Lisa!

Just Me said...

Ok I can doooo this...... maybe LOL
Great challenge!!

Susan S said...

love these cards...hmmm, what am I'm going to design with NO RED

La Papera Gialla said...

I Love your name and your MISSION is MY mission! So happy to have discovered your Challenges!

Rose said...

yea Lisa :)

fun challenge this week and your cards are stunning :)

~* steph :) *~ said...

great challenge this week! and i loooove all your creations! fabulous cards with wonderful colors! thanks for sharing and i'm so happy i got to play along this week! *hugs* steph :)

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

Great challenge - I don't usually use traditional colors, so this was right up my alley!

Love the DT inspiration.
Deanne :)

Ros said...

Oooo ... Thanks ever so much for the mention ... Love this new challenge ... Thanks for the inspiration ...

JLP said...

Wow! There are some awesome cards up there. This was a hard one, because I love red. But it was also a lot of fun! Thanks!

Beverly G said...

You gave me a chance to use my favorite papers. Loving your challenge girls. I also love that you are always so positive, keeps the world a much happier place.

Lorraine said...

Great challenge and three exceptionally love cards ladies! You are such a wonderful inspiration - every one of you.

Deborah Frings said...

Made it!!! Sorry to have joined you so late - super blog! Lovely cards for inspiration too.

Looking forward to the next challenge.

Rosemary said...

I do love the challenges - for some reason on this one, everything seemed to work against me. But I don't give up!

Miria said...

Hi, JB. Great challenge, I liked so much that I made a second card but I'm not sure if it's possible to enter twice. Hugs, Miria

Lisa said...

what a wonderful challenge - loved the idea of using something a bit more untraditional! And now I am off for some inspiration from the other entries. looking forward to the next challenge.

Lisa said...

I didnt realize the challenge closed on Weds, and I guess I missed it by 10 mins since I'm 4 hrs behind EST.

Here is the card I made:
http://stampincraftinsnowohmy.blogspot.com/2011/02/christmas-collage.html

Linda said...

Absolutely awesome cards this week--and I loved the idea, but had to work OT and missed the deadline to link up :-(

Good luck to all who entered!