Friday, July 22, 2011

Oh HOLE-y Night!

hello, it's lauren here, bringing you the new prompt, and you'll have guessed i am over the moon with delight already... just from the title! it comes from your very generous and very clever fellow ♥BELLE♥, this week's lovely guest star ros crawford! you may recognize this talented papercrafter from her participation here and at many other crafty challenges where her creations never, ever, fail to impress and delight. she's also a designer at the fabulous city crafter challenge blog, where a new theme debuts every single tuesday!

ros came up with an absolutely terrific idea for this week--to make aperture (or "window") cards--during a little bout of insomnia she suffered recently. whilst lying awake in bed, her mind was filled with holiday card-making ideas, which she was generous enough to write in* and share with us. (for which we are very grateful!) oh HOLE-y night caught our imaginations immediately, both for the clever pun AND the interesting construction challenge involved!

here's what we did:


Ros says, "The card was created with MME Christmas glitter paper stitched onto kraft ... To make the circle "window" I cut through all layers with Spellbinders Nestabilities standard circles ... made a frame for the hole with the SB scalloped circles I used some acetate with a criss-cross design in the aperture and adhered this in place to the back of the kraft cs before adhering to the card base ... Then I made a 3D bauble (again from scalloped circle nesties) and adhered this to the 'window' ... Stamped a sentiment from a WaltzingMouse stamp set and added a generous dollop of glitter .. a ribbon and some leaves and berries ..."

Lauren says, "i also used a nestabilities die to make the aperture in my card AND create a frame for it; today on my personal blog i've posted a few tips i gleaned from a trial-and-error approach to that. i built the entire design around some larger vintage-style k&co stickers my mother-in-law gave me... i put the tree inside and father xmas outside, and only needed a few elegant embellishments to finish off the card! " :)

Stef says, "My card is pretty straight-forward this week made with my circle cutter & lots of circle punches ... I wanted to let those sweet snow people shine. I did punch a scalloped circle and small circular ring to frame the circle on my card front ... paper is Crate Paper's Snow Day Collection and the sentiment is a favorite from CatsLife Press. This will be one of the many masculine holiday cards I need to have in my stash."


so put on your thinking cap... get out your punches, dies, scissors or craft knife... and start plotting how you'll interpret oh HOLE-y night! (there are excellent tutorials here & here if you need some more ideas.) your "window of opportunity" lasts until 6pm (EST) next wednesday, july 27th. keyword for galleries or our flickr group is JB30. have fun!






*if you have a great prompt idea in the middle of the night--or at any other time--why not email us at jinglebellesrock @ hotmail [dot] com and share with us? we'd love for ♥YOU♥ to be our next lovely guest star!

10 comments:

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Oh fun!!! I love Ros and her creation, and of course the Jingle Belles too, not going to miss this one!!!

Deborah Frings said...

What fabulous cards! And a super idea - I made a note of the correct deadline - so I hope to play along this week!

Ros said...

Fabulous cards girls ... thanks so much for having me with you this week!

June Houck said...

Woot woot, Ros! What a fabulous idea sprung from a bout of insomnia. Sorry you couldn't sleep, but I think your lovely card and brilliant play-on-words was worth it. Fun!

Leslie Hanna said...

Oh, YAY! I've been pondering this circle/frame thing for a while now. How fortuitous that it's this week's challenge! Yee-hah!!!!

Miria said...

I'm not sure if this card can fit your lovely new challenge, if it doesn't please delete it , thank you, Miria

Marie Bingaman said...

LOL, way cool prompt this week! I've got my thinkin' cap on, even tho it's stinkin' HOT! :)

Electra said...

I really really love the samples this week-mine's really simple, but then so am I. lol

Beverly G said...

Love the variety of your challenges, keep them coming.

Lisa - papergrace said...

Can't wait to play!! This looks so fun!