Friday, June 20, 2014

A Christmas Story

This fortnight we are lucky enough to have a lovely guest star with a most inspiring prompt! The very talented Irene Sprick... (whose blog, A Serendipitous Retirement, you really need to check out!) ...wrote in to suggest we base our cards on one of the many wonderful holiday books we all adored in childhood... and secretly, I think we all still love them now, as adults, don't we? Just in case reading isn't your thing, we've expanded the idea to also include the films and television specials which have become beloved over the years. After all, they're all Christmas *STORIES* aren't they? So whether you love "A Christmas Carol" or "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" or "It's a Wonderful Life" why not sit down and consider how that could be embodied as a greeting card, and then c'mon over and link up with us! (Be sure to tell us what book or film inspired your card!)


Irene says, "As a retired elementary school librarian, I have always enjoyed children’s books. Each year I still read through the holiday stories I love. Why not start making cards to go with these stories? This card is from The Wild Christmas Reindeer, by Jan Brett. I love her illustrations and the realistic portrayal of the reindeer, as well as the countdown calendar in the signature borders on each page."


Lauren says, "I've mentioned before that as a child I adored Clement C. Moore's poem, 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, and as an adult I collect vintage copies of the book. For this card I've scanned one of my favorite pages, made it small enough to fit on my not quite 5x7" card, and added some papers and embellishments to match. I think I'll save this card for my niece and nephew, who love the story as much as I do!"

Stephanie says, "Growing up, I couldn't wait to watch the annual Christmas Specials on television (can you imagine in this world of DVDs & DVRs only getting to see them once a year) ... especially Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer ... and as an adult, I still love Bumble the Yeti.  I found a foam ornament featuring both of them and created my card around it using the layout from Wanna Sketch?"

Now it's time for you to start thinking about ♥YOUR♥ favorite Christmas stories and what sort of card they'll inspire you to make! Link up here by 6pm (EST) on Wednesday, July 2nd. Keyword for galleries and our Flickr group is JB:14:13.

2 comments:

Irene said...

Thank you for using the idea. I can't wait to see what stories show up.

Rosina said...

Hello,
Very nice challenge again .. I have also done my best for and book / film used as an idea "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer"
greetings
Rosina