Friday, June 15, 2012

mele kalikimaka

this week's prompt may seem a bit of a stretch, but bear with us for a minute ♥JINGLE BELLES♥! since we're all conscientious enough to make holiday cards year-round (or mad enough, depending on how one looks at it, lol!) then surely the best possible holiday cards to make as the northern hemisphere officially moves into summer are TROPICAL ones, right?! so this week we're asking you to make your holidays hot, hot, hot! 

you can do this by using bold, saturated colors... or by incorporating tropical flora and fauna like palm trees and flamingos... or by taking santa from the north pole to the beach... OR... well, however you'd like to interpret "hot" or "tropical" in a holiday context!

in case you're wondering, our title, mele kalikimaka, means "merry christmas" in hawaiian and is one of our favorite holiday songs, whether enjoyed in the 1950's version by bing crosby or the more recent one by jimmy buffet. (the links go to youtube versions of the song.)

here's what we did:

Stephanie says, "I started with several tropical colors of washi tape 
and this month's Hero Arts sketch.  
Since I wanted contrast between my tapes, 
I attached the top green one to a scrap of the light green cardstock before 
adhering it to my card. A few bits of bling finish the design."



Lauren's Card
Lauren says, "my husband and i were lucky enough to spend three weeks in hawaii last fall, and i've been obsessed with it ever since. the digital collage on this card was made for my travel scrapbook of that trip, and i liked it so much that i later used it for a few gift bags and even a couple of cards with a design similar to this one. which brings me to a bit of a point: sometimes i get so over-focused on "reinventing the wheel" with each and every card that i forget it's not only OK to do "repeats", it's actually quite a good way to save time and money!  i believe this is my favorite use yet... but since i reserve the right to use this collage yet again in future, that could change!"  :) :) :)

and now it's time to see what you will do with this summery prompt! will you go all out with the hawaiian theme... or just spice up your color palette? feel free to use the ideas of "hot" and "tropical" as boldly or subtlely as you like, then come back and link up your caliente creations before 6pm (EST) on wednesday, june 27th. keyword for galleries and our flickr group is JB-12-13.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

This will definitely make me think hard, thats for sure...but the challenge is a good one for me because one of my best friends just moved to Hawaii with the military, so I'll need a tropical card for her!

Wonderful inspiration cards ladies!

Marianne said...

You sure know how to challenge us again every fortnight. However, envisioning hot, hot holidays is not so hard when it's about 30 degrees outside (and 26 degrees in my office). ;-)
Thanks for the wonderful inspiration, very refreshing (no pun intended). ;-)

~amy~ said...

super fun challenge ladies!

Debbie said...

Non-traditional colors are a stretch for me, so add the tropical twist and I'm all flustered!! :) But it's fun to do something different! Great prompt!!

Electra said...

I LOVE your cards and I've missed you belles! I'll try to be around more often, you have the best themes!

Rose said...

good grief this was a tough one but you two ladies rocked it!!!

Sunshine HoneyBee said...

I'm a new follower of your wonderful blog. Found it thru Feline Playful. Entered my Christmas card with hot as my heat embossed Train.
Melissa
"Sunshine HoneyBee"

Mynn xx said...

Thank you for the fabulous challenge--and the amazing DT inspiration, too! Gorgeous cards, gals! :)

Anonymous said...

i LOVE all the bright and tropical DT holiday cards! another fun challenge.
linda

Lorraine said...

Your cards are so cool - even though they're meant to be hot! Love them! I've missed a few challenges and need to catch up. Thank goodness for your wonderful inspiration.